Thursday, July 9, 2009

Globus day - Day four!

So Thursday was our introduction to Globus. I'm going to admit fudging the numbers and say that I did insert some notes into this post after it was created. Shh, don't tell anyone.

So here's our morning's speaker. However, this was not as simple a show as one might imagine, there were several interactions between the presenters with plenty of discussion as to what is the correct way to do some thing, and what is not the correct way to do said thing. But the discussion seemed to me (the new kid) to be political, so I'm not going into it here.

Suffice to say, that I thought the info presented on Globus was pretty decent, even if I did leave scratching my head as to the purpose of the software stack. I think at this point most of the students are in information overload, as 12 hours of focus a day is a bit much. To those who would argue that we're not really doing 12 hours a day since we're not in lecture 12 hours a day, I say that sure we are, because we still discuss it amongst ourselves after the talks, and we talk to the faculty all throughout the day. The other primary presenter here was Ben Clifford.

I hear talks that Ben is someone of note in the Grid community, but he's been a little closed off as to his professional/academic career, so I'll go with he seems like a bright chap with a lot of drive, even if he comes across as an arse to some (and if you've spent time with him, you might think that). Life of the party is a phrase that comes to mind.

For the first time I am absolutely sure that this school needs to show students the same portfolio of tasks on each system, so one to setup proxies, one to submit jobs, etc, and to show how each system does these things, and what the output looks like, and to make note of special procedures or special features.

Ah well, what can I do, I'm just one kid. Lemme record it, and maybe somebody will do something about it, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment